Thursday, July 30, 2009

Zai jian {Goodbye}


Change was inevitable, we both knew that. Klynt and I prayed for it (change), but when the answer came, we looked at each other and said “you can’t be serious.” We were looking to possibly swap states, NOT countries. What about the language, the culture, the food? (And let me just say, rice wasn’t a staple in the Baker diet.) Never mind that we would be on the other side of the world and that all of this required our signature on a two year contract. I thought a year was do-able but two? It all felt so overwhelming, and seemed so permanent.

Fast forward two years and three months later and the view from where I sit is quite a different one. Looking back now, with the oh-so-lovely luxury of hindsight, two years was just a blip on the radar screen and every twist and turn my life has taken, seems undoubtedly for the best. While I still prefer secluded back roads to well-traveled city streets, campfire light to neon, Lake Michigan to Jin-Ji Lake, the Boardwalk to the Bund, a flea market to Shanghai’s crowded square, cotton to silk, burgers to fried rice, Klynt’s driving to a taxi’s, and actual toilets to a hole in the floor, my time here will always be remembered with a smile. I have to say, it’s good to actually know, rather than just believe, the world is round.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! You are a good writer and I hope you will continue writing a blog when you get back to the states....

Dana Baker said...

Thank-you! :) This was my last post on Chopsticks, but I've considered starting another when I'm home and settled. I'll keep you posted.

Kami said...

Glad you're headed back! How do you feel about montana?

MrsKraft said...

Make sure you let us know where you go in blogger world!!!
And SOOOO happy for you!